Find a local agent that can assist you with any questions regarding our services or your coverage.
This page describes how we protect, collect, use and share customer information. Customer information means all nonpublic information related to an identified individual, which is sometimes called personally identifiable information. Customer information does not include anonymized data or de-identified data, which do not identify an individual.
Our privacy Principles
- We do not sell customer information.
- We do not allow those who are doing business on our behalf to use our customer information for their own marketing purposes.
- We contractually require any person or organization providing products or services on our behalf to protect BMI customer information.
- We do not share customer medical information unless:
- you expressly authorize it; or
- it is permitted or required by law; or
- your insurance policy contract with us permits us to do so
- We handle information about former and prospective customers the same as existing customers.
We protect customer information
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect customer information and to comply with federal and state laws. In addition, we regularly review our policies and practices, monitor our computer networks and test the strength of our security.
We retain customer information for legal, auditing, regulatory and business purposes.
Customer information we collect
We collect customer information in different ways. For example, we gather information from:
- applications and other forms related to our products and through conversations with BMI representatives, including our agents
- use of bmicompanyinc.com, our mobile sites and applications, our social media sites and applications and interactions with our online advertisements
- transactions or experiences with us, such as payments, underwriting and claims
- non-BMI parties, including consumer reporting agencies that provide us with information such as driving records, claim histories and credit information
How we use customer information
We use customer information, sometimes including consumer report information, to do things such as:
- underwrite and rate your policies and accounts
- process your claims
- protect against fraud and unauthorized transactions
- provide proper billing
- confirm your identity and service your policies and accounts
- enhance your customer experience and improve our products and services
- offer you other insurance and financial services products
- develop and offer new products and services
- develop either anonymized data or de-identified data by making reasonable efforts to remove personally identifiable information so the information is no longer customer information. We develop this data for certain purposes, such as analysis to understand more about our customers and our industry, or for other commercial purposes as permitted by law. We share and use this data with third party service providers, or with other unaffiliated entities.
- perform other activities as required or permitted by law
How we share customer information
We share customer information, including information about our transactions with you (such as payments) and experiences with you (such as an auto claim), within BMI and with BMI agents to help meet your product and service needs.
- for our everyday business purposes, for public policy purposes and as permitted or required by law
- as needed, to handle your claim. For example, we may share name, address and coverage information with an auto body shop to speed up repairs on auto damage claims.
- with consumer reporting agencies, for example, during the underwriting process in connection with a proposed or actual sale, merger, transfer or exchange of all or a portion of our business or operating unit
- with companies that perform marketing or other services for us or with whom we have joint marketing agreements. These agreements allow us to provide a broader selection of insurance and ﬁnancial products to you.
- as needed, to protect against fraud and unauthorized transactions and in connection with the investigation, establishment and defense of legal rights
Sharing of customer information within our company
We share customer information within our company so, for example, we do not have to ask you for the same information again. If you prefer to limit sharing information such as your driving record, claim history with other companies and credit information, call our company or 417-744-2717. Please note, your choice:
- will apply to joint policyholders or account holders on shared policies and accounts
- does not limit BMI from sharing certain customer information about your transactions or experiences with us for our everyday business purposes or for public policy purposes
- does not limit BMI from sharing customer information in the event of a transfer between BMI, of all or a portion of a line of business
If you are an existing customer and have already told us your customer information sharing preference, no action is needed unless you want to change your preference.