Ultimate Tailgating Kit and Safety Tips for Your Next Game Day
September 3, 2019 | by BMI Staff
Take Care of Your Car and Pedestrians
The parking lot holding any tailgating event is going to be full of people who may not be looking where they’re walking. If you know you’re driving to the event, try to get there early and plan not to leave until after the crowds have dispersed.
Consider parking in an area that is not already packed, and set up your tailgating area near your vehicle to keep other cars from parking too close.
Practice Grilling Safety
Grilling will always include a few hazards worth preparing for, but this is especially true for tailgating. Between the crowds of people and uneven concrete, make sure to follow these tips for keeping the people around you safe.
- Make sure to place your grill at least 6 feet away from any cars or other combustibles. Never grill on your vehicle.
- Never leave your grill unattended and keep children and pets at a safe distance.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher on hand in case of an emergency.
- Stabilize your grill before lighting, and make sure it’s set up on a flat surface.
- Clean your grill before you begin cooking, and check your freshly cleaned grill for stray bristles to avoid cooking them into the food.
Follow Food Safety Guidelines
Your burgers and bratwursts may be the most delicious on the lot, but make sure they’re also the safest, too! Follow these quick tips when cooking for your friends.
- Don’t let food set out longer than 2 hours.
- Make sure the cooking area is sanitary.
- Respect food temps by avoiding the danger zone, which is anywhere between 40-140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Protect Yourself Against the Sun
Even though the weather is cooling off, tailgating usually involves hours of sun exposure. Even if the sun is further away and hiding behind some clouds, remember that you are still exposed to the same threat of dehydration and sun burning that you are in the summer.
Create the Ultimate Tailgating Kit
First, you’ll want to find a plastic container that is the ideal size for whatever activities and supplies you tend to bring along. If time allows, feel free to decorate the container, making it easy to spot in your garage.
Start gathering some of your tailgating essentials. These may vary by group, so only pack what you need. Use the printable checklist below to get started on your own ultimate tailgating kit.